For a long time I’ve wanted to make an ME/EM quilt. I’ve toyed with it in EQ but felt a little vain about actually making it. In fact, while I was making the blocks at my retreat I called them my vanity blocks. I had taken a lovely Tucker Prairie layer cake I had received recently and fallen in love with.
I cut the following from each 10″ square and used Kona Sky for my background. You end up with a full 2 1/2″ x 10″ strip and then some. I figure I can use that in my border. Haven’t quite figured that out yet. I ran out of background and figured I needed a border of that before I proceeded with the rest.
First I sewed the 2 1/2″ squares together.
Then I sewed a 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ rectangle to the bottom of this piece.
Then I sewed the remaining 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ strips together.
Next I sew these two units together.
Followed by the 2 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ strip to the one side, so it looks like an F
Next I sewed the 2 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ strip along the bottom. Sorry the E is backwards. I must be reverting back to my childhood. My mom thought I would never get my letters going the right way. Happy to inform you that she was wrong. (this seldom happens)
Then I sewed the 2 1/2″ x 10 1/2″ strips to either side to complete my block.
I had repeats in my layer cake but didn’t want them in my quilt so it only has 36 blocks instead of 42. My pant hangers were having a hard time holding my flimsy and I was getting frustrated. so You have a not so good picture of my ME/EM quilt. Technically it was suppose to be an EM/Em quilt but I sewed my rows backwards at the retreat and I didn’t want to unpick. Lazy I know. But I’m happy with it.
Now I just need to wait for more background to arrive. It’s been ordered and is on it’s way so I won’t have to wait long. 🙂